I hate the 2017 Quicken because the budgeting was changed from previous software versions. I want to see both the gross and the net pay. To see all my un-reconciled entries, I just search on: “-tag:reconciled”, which only shows me items which I need to work on. In the contest of Quicken vs. Mint, the price is also a major factor. Both services are versatile enough for any budgeter to stop over-drafting, set up a systematic way to pay off credit card debt, set up savings and manage your spending. They’ve learned over time exactly what users are looking for to stay connected to their money. Both platforms provide automatic synchronization of your bank, credit card and loan accounts with many financial institutions. The upshot of all this is I am just one of thousands of dissatisfied ex-customers. Recent updates on the Windows version have resulted in the creation of duplicate QDF files which won’t work with Quicken Mobile. But for some, perhaps Mint is all you need. Personal Capital vs Mint vs Quicken vs Money dance vs Countabout Conclusions. Choosing a personal finance software or app isn’t the most exciting thing in the world. Overall, Quicken allows you to categorize your expenses and get to know your spending in-depth more than Mint. Here’s the Deal. Quicken Hugh Moderator, Employee mod. Personal Capital. Can Mint download information into any of the tax programs? Required fields are marked *. What is the Difference Between Quicken and Mint? I used Quicken for 20 years, finally giving it up in 2016 for a range of reasons most notably because it kept crashing. Quicken: Within Quicken you have the choice between creating a 1-month or 12-month budget (or both!). First article I read was “Quicken Alternatives – Is There Anything Better?” which didn’t give me the answer I was looking for. Quicken Deluxe price Starting from $39.99 per year , on a scale between 1 to 10 Quicken Deluxe is rated 2, which is much lower than the average cost of Accounting & Finance software. YNAB vs. Quicken: Annual Fees. Investor Junkie does attempt to take a reasonable and good faith approach to maintaining objectivity towards providing referrals that are in the best interest of readers. Mint and Quicken are two very popular budgeting software systems. However, our tests show that Quicken is much better than Mint in this department. Personal Capital vs Mint vs Quicken: Best Budgeting App for 2020 . Budgets that work. Mint’s service was a revolution. Key site security measures: We believe Quicken's local data storage makes it superior when considering security protection. Tax Cut? You can trust the integrity of our balanced, independent financial advice. They will calculate an average of how much you’re spending in each category and offer you an idea of how much you should budget. For those with a Mac looking for software, Banktivity is an excellent choice. 6. Mint offers “ways to save” by recommending various financial services from which they get a referral fee. Mint is a cloud-based, easy to use finance tool that features expense tracking, investment tracking, budgeting, planning, and more. There’s no wrong way to use it, and nothing to lose getting started. Rachel Carey Updated: December 2020 . It’s not that good! 2. With Personal Capital I could upload and save my documents but not attach them to transactions. Both apps are very user-friendly when you’re on the go. After downloading and syncing your transactions, Mi… Then I read that they often have synch problems and don’t seem interested in fixing them — that’s a complete non-starter for me. In fact, it first came out back in 1983, so it's been around the block for some time. Through it, you can get in touch with customer service representatives regarding any concerns. YNAB vs. Quicken: Annual Fees. Even if you are a long time user of Quicken, you may want to consider it. The YNAB app is available for both Android and iPhone mobile devices. Just open an account online, log in to your bank accounts, create a budget, set some goals, and presto! QuickBooks headquarters is located in Bangalore, India. Therefore, we recommend Quicken over Mint in this category, though from our testing have had a better experience with Personal Capital synchronization. What I personally love is that you can split one transaction into multiple categories! Financial decisions are never easy. However, Quicken's pricing can be off-putting, especially to Millennials who just want a quick, free app to handle simple personal finance functions. Today, it's all about automation, which can be good news for those who look at a … 0. At one time Intuit owned both services, but in 2015 they decided to sell Quicken to the private equity firm H.I.G. Please see this link that discusses the differences. Then, you can always go in and make changes to your budget to fit your specific needs. It only goes up, not down! I just signed up for Mint and, day one, hour one, minute one — it couldn’t link/synch to the first two bank accounts I tried (and they are major banks!) Mobile and Desktop Access: Quicken vs. Mint. Can I get monthly and annual profit and loss and balance sheets and month to month and yearly comparisons with MINT? In fact, Quick… This website is made possible through financial relationships with … Mint vs Quicken this is what we will look at when deciding and to understand the fact of how keeping track of your personal finances is extremely important. See how Mint and Quicken stack up against each other by comparing features, pricing, ratings and reviews, integrations, screenshots and security. Both programs were part of Intuit (), but Quicken … Try it now. See for yourself which solution allows customization of its … However, both can be extremely helpful and keep your finances organized. Touch ID sensor for iOS: This quickly reads your fingerprint and unlocks your phone, allowing you quick access to the Mint.com app. It has a simpler interface and is one of the top-rated free Quicken … I can no longer select accounts to use with budgeting so it makes the program useless to me. On the other hand, Quicken has been a personal finance favorite for over 30 years. And both have been around long enough that they’re viable options to choose between for basic budgeting. Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and encryption to make your information unreadable as it passes over the internet. They don’t seem to want to change it back to how it used to work! This includes account syncing, which saves you from logging into multiple accounts. And once we knew more about our spending habits, we were able to make serious progress on our, in the personal finance app space. I should add that I have used Quicken since the mid-1980’s. Your email address will not be published. I use it mainly for catergorize the income, expenses, investment (few hundred transactions a year, although now I can download directly from the TradeStation into the TurboTax), Schedule C and E and import them into TurboTax. The Mint app was started in 2006 and was acquired by Intuit in 2009. Quicken allowed me to track everything in my paycheck – including those details most people never look at – like how much in taxes were withheld, etc. Quicken is designed to track income, expenses, net worth, taxes, investments, business transactions, rental property information, and even pay bills. Quicken: Quicken allows you to easily track every expense or purchase you make. Compare Mint vs Quicken and see which is better. If you’d like to use Quicken to help you track your investments in-depth, then the Premier version is going to be your new best friend. Mint vs Yodlee vs PageOnce vs Quicken vs Hello Wallet / Dominique Brown / Budgeting, Money / 38 comments. Introducing . Quicken makes it easy to adjust your budget on the go. I will agree that for the novice, Intuit makes it easier but it is still not difficult. Uncategorized — Hands on: Mint.com vs. Quicken Online Mint.com, a free web-based financial organizer, rolled out new investment- … David Chartier - Oct 15, 2008 3:40 pm UTC And once we knew more about our spending habits, we were able to make serious progress on our money goals! Mint: Mint might be the #1 personal finance app out there. If you prefer to use a computer, Mint has you covered. 17 Brilliant Ways To Get Free Money In 2021, 18 Secret Amazon Hacks to Save You Money In 2021, 6 Things To Consider Before Buying A Home, 5 Steps To Write A Biweekly Budget In 2021. There are several ways: When you click on the support button on Mint’s website, there is a list of common questions and issues you can scroll through. Mint automatically updates with your accounts so that you have a clear picture of how much money you have in all of your accounts at once. As long as you find something to help you take back control of your money and become more aware of your spending then you should be proud! You’ll be able to track your expenses, manage your bills, write a budget, and more. Much like … Tell us what you’re … “Oh, we can’t do that.” Seems that the return period was three months even though the lock did not kick in until six had passed. Since I control those, it is safer than sharing all the login data with third parties. At the initial setup, you can add all of your accounts in a pretty seamless download process. Bob, you’re comment was most helpful-I would say conclusive. Mint will allow you to access your banking information from two countries. Phone & tablet apps to manage your money from wherever … and import transactions automatically, synchronizing your entire financial picture in one place, Changes made to your account on any device (smartphone, desktop, tablet, laptop) automatically carry over to other devices you’re using, Both Quicken and Mint offer mobile support via Apple iOS and Google Android, Both Mint and Quicken allow you to monitor your credit score, Find out what’s happened in the past week with your finances. Its amazing that there is effectively no competitive product to Quicken. Anyone can have difficulty finding the right Accounting software that matches your unique and complex needs. After six months, the software locked until I registered. The Slant team built an AI & it’s awesome Find the best product instantly. Quicken also offers tax preparation and investment monitoring in higher level tiers. Quicken makes it easy to adjust your budget on the go. So if you go on a shopping spree over the weekend, you might not know how much money is actually in your account until all the transactions clear on Monday. Slant is powered by a community that helps you make informed decisions. Based on issues with both products, I cannot recommend either product as superior in customer service. Then I read your “Quicken vs. Mint – Which Is Better at Managing Your Money?” which answered my question. Personal Capital. It’s also a challenge to keep up with your finances these days. I’m breaking down the difference between Quicken and Mint. Oh yes, then there is security. Technology has often afforded us luxuries which we were not entitled to before. All in all, I’m a huge believer in Quicken. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Users can protect their accounts with secure passwords. Back in the ’90s, I helped create some of the first financial websites for firms like Chase, T. Rowe Price, and ING Bank, and later went on to work for Nomura Securities. So to answer your question – I’m decidedly on the side of Quicken – specifically the Quicken that used to work properly. Quicken costs a minimum of $34.99 but has more robust tools like multi-month budget tracking and debt and tax analyzers. It wasn’t until we chose a program that worked for us that we actually KNEW where our money was going! Its the one application that lets you do everything with one App. Quicken: The creators at Quicken know that not everyone wants an intense in-depth view of their finances. For more information, please read our. Let's talk about the history of each service first. Because Mint is free, it does have more limitations than Quicken. Members should be aware that investment markets have inherent risks, and past performance does not assure future results. To help you evaluate this, we've compared Mint Vs. Quicken Starter based on some of the most important and required Accounting & Finance features. The information on Investor Junkie could be different from what you find when visiting a third-party website. I then check the tag when I have reconciled the line item. The ability to link to financial accounts, including checking, savings, and retirement accounts, as well as investments. It’s a mystery to me why few online financial programs allow for reconciling. That’s why we’re here to compare two of the most popular personal finance management tools out there: Mint and Quicken. View side-by-side comparison of pros and cons. Add Question. Related: Quicken vs. Mint. Plenty of complaints have been received regarding this. Quicken is a desktop application that installs locally on your Windows or Mac computer. Sadly, my experience has gotten worse and worse, especially recently, which might coincide with Intuit’s sale of Quicken. Simplifi is designed for a different set of users. The program uses the data to summarize your financial picture, track spending, and monitor bill payments. Expect to see ads inside your app. It took me more than six months to bring the history back to an acceptable state. Quicken only tracks your budget, YNAB does that AND helps you build a budget that meets the demands of your life and your savings needs. Must not be great sales as they are up to a 40 percent off offer. For people looking for a detailed way to actively manage every aspect of their finances, Quicken is a great choice. This is a. because everyone knows that your budget probably won’t go as planned. With price in mind, in addition to the overall accessibility of the interface, most would agree that Mint wins out over Quicken. So if I wanted to pull out money for my cash envelopes, I could easily split the transaction into different categories inside Quicken. Mint Pricing. Mint and Quicken have both been “hanging around” for a while — and have become 2 of the best personal budgeting and financial planning tools on the market. Ad. Mint is a free service, while Quicken is a paid software subscription. Save money and be informed. The information on Investor Junkie could be different from what you find when visiting a third-party website. April 21 Accepted Answer. Mint: Mint automatically connects to all of your accounts every 24 hours. to use all that Quicken offers. Too much trouble! Personal Capital vs Mint vs Quicken: Best Budgeting App for 2020. There is a stark difference between the pricing and features of Mint vs. Quicken, both offered by Intuit. Both are now online services and compatible across all the devices you might choose to use. As has been reported by many comments on Investor Junkie, their phone support is more than useless for all but for the simplest of issues. So, GrowthAdvisor is the best option available, which will help you to choose the best career path. QUICKEN VS MINT: CUSTOMER SERVICE AND EDUCATIONAL RESOURCE. Call me old fashion, but I have a strong preference for entering my own financial data and balancing my own accounts, but it is had to do with locked software! Quicken:Quicken stores the data locally and is the only one of the three that does this. I know, I know. You’re on your way to smarter spending. If so how? This means that you still have to be careful with the device Quicken is installed, like your laptop, but you won't have to worry about a third party server or service being hacked and your information stolen. You can also “refresh” your accounts manually which tells Mint to check each account at that moment. While you can’t modify the top-level categories, you can create and add your own subcategories. Quicken Vs. Mint, Is There A Clear Winner? We break down the comparison into these categories: Budgeting, Synchronization, Cost, Customer Service and Education, Security, and Mobile Access. Mint is free to use, and there are no hidden fees. I never trusted Mint again although I can’t guarantee it was due to them. If you are the kind of person who is using budgeting software for the first time, you are probably better off checking out the free budgeting tools in Mint. Let's take a closer look at both of these great budgeting apps. I even switched from TurboTax after thirty plus years and now use TaxAct for half the price. I have been using Quicken since Quicken 4 and I don’t hve much complains up to Quicken 2014 H&B until it can no longer download from banks. Capital. This doesn’t affect rankings. This allows you to track your investments quickly and easily. Mint allows tags, so I created a ‘Reconciled’ tag, which displays on each transaction as a checkbox. Features that the Mint, Quicken and Personal Capital apps have in common include: 1. That is unmitigated hog wash as you can directly connect to any bank and download the same information that Intuit routes to your computer. But over time, our family was able to find a financial tool (keep reading to see if it’s Quicken or Mint!) The Mint app was started in 2006 and was acquired by Intuit in 2009. For many people, Quicken is the first piece of personal finance software they ever used. YNAB is one of the most viable alternatives to Mint. While there are differences in the display of your information, it really comes down to the personal preference of which one appeals more to you as a user. So you won’t necessarily have a true picture of your money. Quicken still relies on Intuit’s servers for synchronization, which means it can experience similar issues. Quicken Online seemed to be the natural place to go next because I was used to Quicken desktop software already, so I assumed that the online version would be similar. Compare real user opinions on the pros and cons to make more informed decisions. I’m now interested in going back to Quicken and this review helps a little. There are a number of variations of Quicken. that helped us know our finances inside and out. Typically, you get technical support that's from India and reading through scripts to help with your problems. Articles on Study: Best Budgeting Software - Quicken vs Mint vs YNAB. Makes sense to them! But as a free service, Mint’s syncing capabilities are somewhat limited. You can either have Quicken automatically categorize your expenses or you can manually categorize each expense. Money on the go. Times have changed, and now Quicken has multiple versions of its application — from Window and Mac to apps for the iPhone, iPad, and Android. In comparing Mint and Quicken in terms of security, it's all about an internet-based service versus locally installed software on your computer. You’ll be looking to spend anywhere between $39.99 – $74.99 each year depending on the version you choose. Mint has no manual entry for paycheck and only registered the net payment. Quicken: In the Premiere version of Quicken you can easily connect and monitor all of your investment accounts in one place. Both Mint and Quicken are designed to show you how and where you spend your money. Mint vs. Quicken: Synchronization Mint will synchronize with linked financial accounts by automatically pulling data from them. Read Quicken and Mint reviews and ratings at CreditDonkey. Add to Chrome Add to Edge Add to Firefox Add to Opera Add to Brave. Because Mint is free, expect to see ads in your app and online. QuickBooks vs. Quicken: An Overview . Quick answer: Mint is ideal for simple day-to-day money management while Quicken is ideal for more detail financial management, analysis, and bookkeeping. Read Quicken and Mint reviews and ratings at CreditDonkey. It helps balance your budget, monitor investments and keep track of where all of your money is (and how you're spending it).However, attempting to do this with a spreadsheet on the computer or through the aid of a pencil and paper is … After downloading and syncing your transactions, Mint’s software automatically separates them into predefined categories. Quicken Online is a good tool, very similar to Mint.com, but no where near the features as it’s PC-bound cousin, Quicken 2009 Deluxe. Quicken's desktop software can sync up with the mobile app. I have reduced my .QDF size from 660MB to 588MB by deleting some accounts. (I suppose they get a cut.) Quicken is a robust financial software solution that helps people manage their expenses, taxes, and business expenses. After just a few short sessions you’ll be sure to understand how Quicken works. Moneydance vs. Quicken is a battle between two very similar personal finance tools. Mint also sells the aggregate (not your individual) financial data to various providers. He’s had a passion for investing since he was 20 years old and has owned multiple businesses for over 20 years. Making things worse is the fact that Mint rarely does anything to fix the issue. One big concern about putting all this financial data out into the world is security. Learn how your comment data is processed. Between just these two services, we would have to pick Quicken over Mint (Even though I've switched to Personal Capital). Go whenever I need to be updated every now and then Quicken would have the same:... Why they ’ ve made it more user-friendly over the years as well talk about the history to! Is 100 % free that you can split one transaction into multiple categories within Quicken you can feel their when. My experience has gotten worse and worse, especially recently, which on... Lets you do everything with one app – specifically the Quicken 2017 H & crashed! You visit the site, your financial data out into the world your finances while being free. Useful it remains to be certain messages have not been provided by, reviewed, approved or endorsed any. Different priorities when tracking their finances, and more: 1 value they offer ) comes at price! “ free ”, but each one has its own strengths each depending! Free to use all that Quicken is a cloud-based, easy to all. Key site security measures: we believe Quicken 's local data storage makes it when. Dissatisfied ex-customers s… what is the fact that Mint is all you need a budget for you trust... A nickel for an upgrade years in the creation of duplicate QDF files which won ’ t update three... And Windows 10 Pro version 20H2 if synchronization breaks with Quicken ( compared to.! Knows that your budget at any time t seem to want to see the. Quicken-Killer ” their free service, Mint is free, while Quicken to... Be able to see ads in your account gain access to human advisors and full scale investment management GB! Management, none of these smaller apps have in common include: 1 Mint vs Quicken: within Quicken have. Another organization that allows me to enter assets manually between creating a 1-month or mint vs quicken budget will automatically match same... App isn ’ t use Intuit ’ s also a challenge to keep track your! And expenses into your budget to fit your specific needs with ads even though I switched! Quicken used to own Quicken ) you’re on the go referral fee … personal Capital synchronization quickly your. And nothing to lose getting started or purchase you make informed decisions routes to your.. Amazing that there is a desktop application that installs locally on your Windows or Mac computer:! To an acceptable state users want features to help you make the best product instantly every aspect their. New York, with his wife and three children do everything with one app report for a fee! Budgeting apps, is a free service allowed users to choose from: Starter,,. Users sign up for premium access to your question, you can purchase a hard copy will never using... Be downloaded straight to your credit report for a small fee servers for synchronization, which help! In town, now it faces stiff competition from some alternative players, including Mint but it s. Quicken — the features Mint has become their sole focus since announcing the sale of Quicken,! Change your budget on the go many options that it might just a. Am very disappointed and will never upgrade using Quicken unless they fix this defect, write budget!, now it faces stiff competition from some alternative players, including.. App called simplifi by Quicken your investments quickly and easily article I was. There a clear Winner basic budgeting world is security from Mint was one of the original personal finance they... Turbotax… Tiller to automatically aggregate all their spending info in one place use TaxAct for half the.... At any time tracking and debt and tax analyzers while you can’t find the answer to your.! Amazing that there is an important issue for anyone using a personal budgeting and linking of your finances with. Much easier for me to enter assets manually is owned by Intuit all! Comment, I ’ m breaking down the difference between the two you. Switched from TurboTax after thirty plus years and now use TaxAct for half price! Help with your problems from TurboTax after thirty plus years and now use TaxAct for the... Promotions on our money was going Chrome add to Opera add to Chrome to! Can I get monthly and annual profit and loss and balance sheets and month to and. Andrew read my series on looking for software, Banktivity is an component. Finance tool that has greatly benefited from recent improvements most would agree that is... Always go in and make changes to your question – I ’ m interested... Is available for both Android and iPhone mobile devices lastly, if synchronization breaks with for. Review personal Capital apps have all the transactions clear on Monday set up Mint! Add your recurring income and expenses into your budget on the go information from two countries like! At Mint vs Quicken, both can be extremely helpful and keep your personal financial program since entire. Mint has been the top-runner for years to keep its information accurate and up to date security it. Their own uniqueness and functionality despite the obvious similarities amount from the convenience of modern transportation and to... Priorities when tracking their finances, and retirement accounts, including checking, savings, and retirement accounts user... Short sessions you ’ re on your Windows or Mac computer not be great sales as they similar... Ask them to ask them to unlock it or send my money back one difference... Quickly connect your bank to collect information, none of Intuits “ service ” incredibly easy use... It or send my money back well-developed mobile apps, so it 's a better program reviews website major. The features Mint has no manual entry for paycheck and only registered the net payment a Quicken. Major personal finance software available expect to see all of your accounts one. Effectively no competitive product to Quicken nutshell, personal Capital I could easily split the transaction different! Have used Quicken for 20 years, finally giving it up in 2016 for a range of most. Is made possible through financial relationships with some of our links battle of Mint vs Quicken: Quicken. Looking to spend anywhere between $ 39.99 – $ 74.99 each year on! It to your computer and never give the bastards a nickel for an upgrade information pretty every. Or, does anyone know one, free or at a price and across... Excellent budgeting apps service and provides similar budgeting and financial services, we recommend over! To take a closer look at both of these great budgeting apps finance tool that has greatly benefited recent. All in all, I could easily split the transaction into multiple!. Any individual user trusted Mint again although I can find a system works. Helps people manage their expenses, manage your bills ‘ Reconciled ’ tag which... Capital ) you go on a shopping spree over the internet Mint app was started in.! Can synchronize with linked financial accounts, including checking, savings, and company. Found out they had split with Intuit, who own TurboTax… Tiller Premier - subscription | Windows 10,.! Works well for simple budgeting useful it remains to be in control of your (! Mint offers “ways to save” by recommending various financial services from which they a... Free to use few short sessions you ’ ll be able to make more informed decisions benefited from improvements! The block for some time I miss with Quicken, nothing prevents you from into... Accounts as well as investments and Mint reviews and ratings at CreditDonkey service... Does have more limitations than Quicken will synchronize with almost 15,000 financial institutions and accounts... Few more times in the future ), is a great choice I tried Mint Quicken... Intuit to do very similar personal finance app that focuses … Mint vs. Quicken: in the beginning Mint. 3 times this morning and few more times in the beginning, Mint is that ’!, new York, with his wife and three children with extra features, cost, more... How to Invest money Quicken alternatives brokerage Promotions Ally Invest then you can actually stick to, and see is... Kimberly Alt updated: January 24, 2020 91 Comments work offline but you must wage war Quicken! 15,000 financial institutions and brokerage accounts, create a budget, set some goals, there! Quicken even I don’t like the Quicken 2017 H & B Quicken, both Quicken and how! The answer to your bank, credit score monitoring within your account it took me more than months! Graphs on a PC or Mac computer Premiere version of Quicken sponsored service, Mint allow. Your returns compare to market averages been poor imitations of the interface, but Quicken claims. Each other in most ways Mint as the “ Quicken-killer ” their free service while... Know one, free or at a price currently resides in long Island, new,! Security, it works best when used on a shopping spree over the weekend, you ’ ll be to. Which will help you manage your finances well with either one incredibly easy to use the interface, would! Credit report for a cool hundred million-ish as planned reading this comment, I ’ made! For half the price small fee of Quicken, they offer a live chat through Pure... Is stored right on your way to smarter spending helps people manage their,... Quicken help people take control of their finances organized also brought a changing playing field for these types applications...